Technology
People say that technology is advancing at an amazing rate right now, and it's not hard to see the reality of that. I'm only 23 years old but I've lived through the transition of cassette tapes to MP3s, of VCR players requiring manual tracking to BlueRay DVD players, and of dial-up Internet being a luxury to high speed Internet being the norm.
I see a lot of posts online talking about how 80's and 90's kids were lucky because we were the "last generation" to go to the park and play outside instead of playing with video games all the time. Even though I don't agree completely, I guess that has a little bit of truth in it. I definitely notice that kids nowadays have much more access to electronic devices, be it cell phones or portable gaming devices. It's so much easier to carry around these things now.
Personally, I barely used the computer until I started high school. I think that's when we got wireless Internet. Prior to that I used the AOL dial up CDs that came with cereal boxes. It took forever to connect and didn't work half the time. And I don't even remember how long it took to load a webpage. Plus my parents limited our computer usage to half an hour (one hour max) so my sisters and I never spent too much time on the computer. Until we had to do homework on the computer and alas, now sometimes I'm on my laptop all day....
I like to think that when I have kids I'll do the same thing as my parents and limit their screen time, but I don't know if that will be possible. It worked for my parents because they didn't spend a lot of time watching TV or on the computer. But if I'm using the computer for all my work, it'll be hard to tell my kids not to. They have to learn by example right?
Well, I guess that's one of those things about life and society. It's constantly changing so we have to adapt. And right now, technology is playing a huge part in all of our lives. Just today I read about how Google is developing a pair of glasses that can record video and access the Internet. It's pretty much like a smartphone mounted on a pair of glasses frames!
No matter how much we miss "the good ol' days", the world is different now and we can't go back.
不管我們想不想, 世界就是在變. 我們不能阻止, 就唯有適應和接受.
I see a lot of posts online talking about how 80's and 90's kids were lucky because we were the "last generation" to go to the park and play outside instead of playing with video games all the time. Even though I don't agree completely, I guess that has a little bit of truth in it. I definitely notice that kids nowadays have much more access to electronic devices, be it cell phones or portable gaming devices. It's so much easier to carry around these things now.
Personally, I barely used the computer until I started high school. I think that's when we got wireless Internet. Prior to that I used the AOL dial up CDs that came with cereal boxes. It took forever to connect and didn't work half the time. And I don't even remember how long it took to load a webpage. Plus my parents limited our computer usage to half an hour (one hour max) so my sisters and I never spent too much time on the computer. Until we had to do homework on the computer and alas, now sometimes I'm on my laptop all day....
I like to think that when I have kids I'll do the same thing as my parents and limit their screen time, but I don't know if that will be possible. It worked for my parents because they didn't spend a lot of time watching TV or on the computer. But if I'm using the computer for all my work, it'll be hard to tell my kids not to. They have to learn by example right?
Well, I guess that's one of those things about life and society. It's constantly changing so we have to adapt. And right now, technology is playing a huge part in all of our lives. Just today I read about how Google is developing a pair of glasses that can record video and access the Internet. It's pretty much like a smartphone mounted on a pair of glasses frames!
No matter how much we miss "the good ol' days", the world is different now and we can't go back.
不管我們想不想, 世界就是在變. 我們不能阻止, 就唯有適應和接受.
Comments
Post a Comment