Stationary
Yesterday I posted a link titled "Tomoki". For those of you who don't know who he is, Tomoki is the name of a character in the cute Japanese drama "Marumo No Okite". The drama is about a guy named Mamoru who adopts his deceased friend's 6 year old twin children. The kids mistakenly call him Marumo, hence the title of the drama (literal translation: Marumo's Rules). One of Marumo's most quoted rules is, "We are family, even when we are apart". The drama focuses on a single man taking care of young children which is automatically an "aww" factor :P Also, there's a talking dog.
Anyway, what I actually wanted to blog about today is stationary, because Mamoru works at a stationary company. Their company develops new types of stationary that appeals to kids. For example they had something called Strawberry Glue, which later on was recalled because it smelled so good that kids were eating it. Mamoru developed an eraser that was also a stamp. This made me think back to my elementary school days because back then, erasers were really cool. Here are some examples:
1. Ones that you could stick on the end of your pencil.

Even the plain pink ones were pretty awesome (and would be pretty useful for the lab actually because we have to sign up for time slots in the tissue culture hood and we're constantly erasing our names and changing when we want to use the hood). But there were also erasers in cool shapes such as Easter eggs and pumpkins. Those ones never got used :P
2. Pencil shaped erasers.
I don't remember when the teacher would give these out but my purple and yellow pencil shaped eraser was one of my prized possessions in grade 6. I don't know why I liked it so much but of course, it never got used either. And I remember being so glad that it didn't get stolen because I kept it in my desk at school. I couldn't find a picture of it but it looked something like this, but prettier ;)

3. Eraser pens.

I wonder how much money the person who invented eraser pens made. EVERYONE had these, although I don't think my parents bought me one until they were sold at the dollar store :P Now I realize that it was a lot of money (maybe $3 or $4??) for a whole bunch of plastic and very little eraser haha.
There was also this type of eraser pen, which was more useful.

4. Eraser pets.
My friend and I drew faces on our erasers and made eraser pets! I think I still have one in a box under my bed. We also wrote/drew on them and made our own stamps with our erasers.
It's interesting how important stationary is for kids (and maybe even adults?). In "Marumo No Okite", one of the stationary company workers commented on how her young son was doing poorly in school, but when she bought him a new notebook he felt smarter and wanted to learn more. I remember going back to school with new supplies and being so ready to take on the new school year. That's why I was always filled with mixed emotions as the beginning of September drew nearer. I was sad that summer vacation was ending, but excited to use all my new school supplies!
Well, this is a very long post about stationary haha. But hmm, I think I need a new eraser pet! ;)
Anyway, what I actually wanted to blog about today is stationary, because Mamoru works at a stationary company. Their company develops new types of stationary that appeals to kids. For example they had something called Strawberry Glue, which later on was recalled because it smelled so good that kids were eating it. Mamoru developed an eraser that was also a stamp. This made me think back to my elementary school days because back then, erasers were really cool. Here are some examples:
1. Ones that you could stick on the end of your pencil.

Even the plain pink ones were pretty awesome (and would be pretty useful for the lab actually because we have to sign up for time slots in the tissue culture hood and we're constantly erasing our names and changing when we want to use the hood). But there were also erasers in cool shapes such as Easter eggs and pumpkins. Those ones never got used :P
2. Pencil shaped erasers.
I don't remember when the teacher would give these out but my purple and yellow pencil shaped eraser was one of my prized possessions in grade 6. I don't know why I liked it so much but of course, it never got used either. And I remember being so glad that it didn't get stolen because I kept it in my desk at school. I couldn't find a picture of it but it looked something like this, but prettier ;)

3. Eraser pens.

I wonder how much money the person who invented eraser pens made. EVERYONE had these, although I don't think my parents bought me one until they were sold at the dollar store :P Now I realize that it was a lot of money (maybe $3 or $4??) for a whole bunch of plastic and very little eraser haha.
There was also this type of eraser pen, which was more useful.

4. Eraser pets.
My friend and I drew faces on our erasers and made eraser pets! I think I still have one in a box under my bed. We also wrote/drew on them and made our own stamps with our erasers.
It's interesting how important stationary is for kids (and maybe even adults?). In "Marumo No Okite", one of the stationary company workers commented on how her young son was doing poorly in school, but when she bought him a new notebook he felt smarter and wanted to learn more. I remember going back to school with new supplies and being so ready to take on the new school year. That's why I was always filled with mixed emotions as the beginning of September drew nearer. I was sad that summer vacation was ending, but excited to use all my new school supplies!
Well, this is a very long post about stationary haha. But hmm, I think I need a new eraser pet! ;)
Comments
Post a Comment